Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"No Rain, No Pasture, No Hay" part 1

August 2012
Hello! I just want to let anyone reading this that it was written a little while ago and I'm just now getting around to posting it. Thanks!
Due to the drought, our cattle and horses are out of food. If you can find hay, it is very expensive.
Through God's provision, we found 18 large square bales of Prairie Grass from Kansas. I won't tell you what we paid for it... We really need this hay to last the rest of the summer and fall if need be. Downsizing the number of animals is really the only logical choice. We have 7 cows, 2 bulls, 2 steers, 6 calves and 3 horses. Obviously the horses eat the most per head and they do not generate any income. I really need to sell at least one. This thought is really hard for me though. My lifelong passion has always been horses. When I was little, our neighbor had horses and had me in the saddle as soon as I was big enough to hold on. I was 10 when I got my first horse, an American Quarter Horse filly named April. I have many fond memories of our rides together. We were best friends. In college, I took all the horse classes and ended up with a B.S. in Animal Science with emphasis in Equine Science. There was one particular class that made a huge impression on me...

-To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment